ADMISSION to WAUSM
WAUSM has three class starts each year: January, May, and September
At Western Atlantic University School of Medicine (WAUSM), we employ a comprehensive and holistic admission process that looks at each applicant’s entire achievement history. Why? Because research—as well as the fact that our leadership has been selecting and educating MDs for decades—has taught us what effective measures to look for to best predict success in medical school.
As you prepare your application, help us get to know you—your academic and personal accomplishments; experience in the healthcare field, including research and community work; and life experiences. Show us what will make you a successful WAUSM student, worthy of the SELECT Scholarship.
How to Apply
If you’ve already begun your online application, click here to continue.
WAUSM accepts applications from graduates of accredited colleges. All selected applicants will be required to undergo an interview with an admission associate, and hold, and/or submit, the following:
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher
- MCAT exam results (we will request scores from all attempts)
- Personal statement
- 2 Letters of recommendation (1 academic and 1 academic OR professional)
Please upload a copy of your MCAT score report through the application portal. Further along in the application process you will receive a request to have official copies of all test scores be sent directly to WAUSM from the testing agency.
Applicants who have completed less than 90 credit hours at an English-speaking institution will be required to submit either the TOEFL or IELTS exam to demonstrate English proficiency.
- Personal interview
- Previous USMLE scores (if applicable for transfer students)
Please upload a copy of your TOEFL or IELTS score report through the application portal. Further along in the application process you will receive a request to have official copies of all test scores be sent directly to WAUSM from the respective testing agency.
Applicants will be considered for transfer on a case by case basis to WAUSM only if they have completed courses at a medical school accredited by a World Federation for Medical Education (WFME) recognized accreditor.
Required Prerequisite Coursework
- General Biology or Zoology or higher with lab: 2 semesters or equivalent (8 semester hours)
- Inorganic or General Chemistry or higher with lab: 2 semesters or equivalent (8 semester hours)
- Organic Chemistry with lab: 2 semesters or equivalent (8 semester hours)
- One semester of Biochemistry may be substituted in lieu of one semester of Organic Chemistry
- Physics with lab: 1 semester or equivalent (4 semester hours)
- English or writing intensive course of verifiable equivalence: 2 semesters or equivalent (8 semester hours)
- Math, preferably Calculus or Statistics: 1 semester or equivalent (3 semester hours)
- Humanities/Social Sciences: 1 semester or equivalent (3 semester hours)
- Note: Prerequisite courses should not be more than ten years old.
Once the Office of Admissions is in receipt of your completed application, our Admissions Committee will review it, and a decision will be made concerning your interview eligibility. Qualified applicants who are invited for an interview will receive notification from the Office of Admissions with instructions on how to schedule an interview. The primary purpose of the interview is to confirm that you possess the qualities necessary to become a successful MD.
The Admissions Committee considers each applicant based on a combination of factors, including:
- Undergraduate cumulative GPA
- GPA in required pre-medical course work
- Advanced science courses
- Competitiveness of undergraduate school and curriculum
- Graduate work and records
- Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) score(s) and scores from any additional medical exams taken
- Pre-med committee evaluations
- Letters of recommendation from academic and/or professional references
- Extracurricular activities and accomplishments
- Personal statement
- Personal interview
- Work experience and internships
Offers of Admission & ENROLLMENT DEPOSIT
Offers of admission are made on a rolling basis. As a selective medical school, WAUSM reserves seats for accepted students who illustrate a commitment to attend our medical school. As such, admitted students are required to pay a $1,000 enrollment deposit; $500 of which must be paid within two weeks of receiving your WAUSM admission decision. The final $500 deposit is due as follows: September 1 for enrollment into the ensuing January term, January 1 for the ensuing May term, or May 1 for the ensuing September term.
If you are admitted within 120 days of your intended semester start, you are required to pay the full $1,000 enrollment deposit within two weeks of receiving your admission decision.
Upon enrollment in second semester, this enrollment deposit will be credited against your second semester tuition. Please note if you pay the deposit and choose not to attend WAUSM, your deposit will be forfeited.
All students are required to read, acknowledge, and meet the technical standards with or without reasonable accommodations.
Questions? Our Admission associates are on-hand to answer any questions you may have. Please reach out by emailing us at:
firstname.lastname@example.orgAll documents should be sent to our Admissions office using the following address:Western Atlantic University School of Medicine
Office of Admissions
7901 SW 6th CourtSuite 350Plantation, FL 33324